Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Turtles and Dogtooth Tunas

Today I finally had the chance getting outside the reef for some freediving
in the passages and it was absolutely brilliant, thanks to Reef to Sea for taking
me with them. Only three scubas and me, nice group. Not even 5min in the water and we had
the first Green Sea Turtle. Only a couple of minutes later, at a depth around 22m,
7 Dogtooth Tunas (first time I saw them). The reef was full of fish and I really
enjoyed my diving, exept that there where a lot of Jellyfish (As they had a lot of different Jellyfish 
on display in the Monterey Bay and Osaka Aquarium, even if the diving guide not agreed, I would 
definitely vote for a small version of box jellyfish with only four tentacles! So watch out!)


The second passage we've been was more shallow, between 5-15m but also turtles all
over the place. I also saw one Hawksbill Sea Turtle.
Highlight on that dive was the biggest Goliath Grouper I ever saw.
We all estimate it between 2,10-2,30 and at least over 150kg (probably more), a monster!!!
The head of that thing had nearly the size of my backpack! Sadly I saw it first during my ascent, so I only
 started recording on the surface, 10-14m above (estimated) the Goliath Grouper
There have been also plenty of Orangespine Unicorn Fish, never saw as much at
the same time. One of my favorite.

If you ever gona visit Rarotonga, do not leave without diving around the passages.

1 comment :