Saturday, March 1, 2014

Yap day 2014

Because there is so much to write, I keep it simple ;)
It was the best cultural experience I had so far.
Seeing all this traditional dresses, dances, food, cultural "artifacts", like stone money
or shell money or the even most expensive, the whale-tooth necklace.

Luckily I went with the right guys and I was introduced to the highest people as a 
good fisherman (still don't think so, but they are happy about having me fishing with them) and 
a visitor. And when they heard about my plan staying on Ulithi for three weeks, I got
even more attention from them ;)

The preparation dance I watched a couple of days ago, was at the end the winner dance.
I can not say what makes it a winner dance, because in my opinion there was at least on dance,
which was better. They told me, even an wink with an eye can be match winning.
Hard judgment in my opinion, but ok ;)

And about the typhoon I wrote, changed nearly 180 degrees!!! direction. WTF?
They have a "rainman" who kept Yap Day dry for the last 14 years and they ask him for his 
work, in the morning of the first day. Seems that it worked, even if I still not believe ;)

So here are some impressions of these two days.
My highlight, the bamboo and "dirty dance" the men performed. ;)




Irredeemably randy? ;-)

No comments :

Post a Comment