Sunday, March 2, 2014

Turtle hunt



Today they took me with them for spearfishing again, but primary for turtle hunting.
I told them that I'm not able shooting one, but at least tell them if I see one.
So I went for fish and they for turtle.

This spot where they took me, was not comparable with the last one. At the end I only saw
two bigger sized fish and a very (I mean VERY) big stingray. The Spadefish was for one of the guys 
from another village and the Sweetlips for sashimi (this kind of Sweetlips, forgot the name, is in 
Japan one of the most wanted and best sahimi fish, I do not agree;)). 

The turtle hunters have been also successful. Two good sized Green Turtles.
I thought shooting is the hardest part, but seeing how they kill and cook, was even harder!
They are turning the turtle on the back, stretching the neck over a peace of wood and then use a big aluminum/steel pipe
or crowbar for smashing the head. I asked why not using the machete and cutting of the head?
They told me they want and need the blood for the taste and for cooking later.
After killing, they leave it on the back and put some dried coconut husk around and on the belly,
start fire and cook it that way about one hour and then open the belly.
So there are different ways how you prepare the meat. The neck I tried sahimi with soy sauce
later I had some meat (don't know which part it was) normally cooked in a pan, like I cook chicken
and also some meat cooked with all the blood in the shell as kind of goulash.
To be honest, all three ways tasted good, specially the sashimi and the goulash.
What was hard to see and I still do not understand how this worked (they told me its every time like this)
is the beating heart. They opened the belly and the heart is still beating. I first thought
this poor animal is not dead at all, but after being cooked for one hour? Then it was also
beating after the removed it and put it separately on the table with all the other organs and meat.
For sure for over 15 minutes, very strange. The whole feast took about 5 hours
and I think there was still some meat left at the end.

Anyway, will never hunt turtles and to be honest, there is also no need for me eating it again.
It was good, but as one who loves them more alive in the water and seeing them swimming right in front
of my camera, like in Rarotonga, I probably will never eat again.

I hope Turtle Island on Ulithi will not be a big market place and butchery island ;), because 
for the Yapese it is one of there best delicacies

By the way, one of the days with the best weather since my stay on Yap.

No comments :

Post a Comment